The 5 step method family programme aims to reduce the stress and strain of a family member's alcohol and drug misuse.
- Step 1: involves talking about your stressful situation and exploring the emotional, physical and mental impacts this has on your life.
- Step 2: is about increasing accurate information and knowledge relevant to your situation.
- Step 3: looks at how you and other family members are responding and coping.
- Step 4: looks at assess what social support formal and informal you have in place and if there are any gaps.
- Step 5: looks at where to go next and your needs going forward.
This programme has a manual and worksheets for further reading in between sessions.