SMART Recovery support individuals who have chosen to abstain, or are considering abstinence from any type of addictive behaviors (substances or activities), by teaching how to change self-defeating thinking, emotions, and actions; and to work towards long-term satisfactions and quality of life.
The 4-Point Program® The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program offers tools and techniques for each program point:
1: Building and Maintaining Motivation
2: Coping with Urges
3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
4: Living a Balanced Life
The Approach Teaches
- self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- Provides meetings that are educational, supportive and include open discussions.
- Encourages individuals to recover from addiction and alcohol abuse and live satisfying lives.
- Teaches techniques for self-directed change.
- Supports the scientifically informed use of psychological treatment and legally prescribed psychiatric and addiction medication.
- Works on substance abuse, alcohol abuse, addiction and drug abuse as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
- Evolves as scientific knowledge in addiction recovery evolves.
- Differs from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-step programs.
SMART Recovery Tools & Techniques
The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program employs a variety of tools and techniques to help individuals gain independence from addiction and addictive behaviors.
Participants are encouraged to learn how to use each tool and to practice the tools and techniques as they progress toward Point 4 of our program — achieving lifestyle balance and leading a fulfilling and healthy life.
These tools include:
– Stages of Change
– Change Plan Worksheet
– Cost/Benefit Analysis (Decision Making Worksheet)
– ABCs of REBT for Urge Coping
– ABCs of REBT for Emotional Upsets
– DISARM (Destructive Images and Self-talk Awareness & Refusal Method)
– Hierarchy of Values
– Role-playing and Rehearsing
– USA (Unconditional Self-Acceptance)
See the SMART Recovery website for further information and to a find a group meeting https://smartrecovery.ie/